Bowling News USA - August 7, 2014 The Junior Gold Experience 5-Day Diary!
by IAB Kid Bowler Natalie Savant In From The Blog • Kid Bowler • Spotlight
EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!
Junior Gold 2014 was the best one yet because it was my first year to bowl it! This was the very first year that they had a U12 division for younger kids like me to bowl in. There were around 85 girls that bowling in my division (over 2,500 bowlers in the whole tournament). There were bowlers everywhere we went in the city! The restaurants, the hotels, the gas stations! Bowlers, bowlers, everywhere! It was so cool to see all the bowling jerseys everywhere we stopped.
I should tell you first that my bowling balls decided they needed a mini-vacation and for about 12 hours we didn’t know where they were or if they were even going to make it to Buffalo. My mom was kind of freaking out! We were helped out by the Columbia 300 people so that I would at least have one ball just in case mine stayed wherever they were. Mommy and daddy bought me new shoes too. After lots of phone calls mommy found out that my balls were in Orlando. I guess they wanted to go back to Bowl Expo or Disney world. They finally got to Buffalo the next day in time for me to start the Junior Gold fun!
Day 1: My first day started with a trip to Rochester in the morning to bowl the DV8 Shootout tournament and then back to Buffalo for registration. Let me tell you that room was a hot mess! There were probably about 300 people in this room. I had to go through a line that was just for kids (no mommy or daddy with me – awesome!). When I got to the front of the line to the USBC representative, she said “Well, I don’t need to see your ID, I know exactly who you are Natalie!” I thought that was really cool! After you register you can walk around and see the booths and talk to the pros and take pictures. I went to the Columbia 300 booth and waited in line to see Josh (Blanchard) and when I finally got to the front of the really crowded long line the next couple in line wanted to take pictures with ME before the pros! That felt amazing! There were also booths from Turbo, Vise, High 5, and Team USA. It was really neat in there!
After we walked around and talked to the Pros and shopped in the Junior Gold store, we went across the hall to the room with the college booths and coaches in it. I saw Mr. Bryan (O’Keefe) and Mr. Del (Warren). The room was full of booths from colleges that have bowling teams! There are a lot to choose from! We had to leave pretty fast because I had a practice session to get to!
We got to Classic Bowling Center for my practice session. I had one hour to practice on the medium pattern, and we were able to move around from lane to lane. I thought that was pretty neat because I got to meet a lot of new people. I noticed REALLY fast that there were a lot of REALLY good bowlers in the U12 division and I got kind of intimidated and thought there was no way I was going to be as good as some of them. I remembered something that Miss Kelly (Kulick) said to me at the US Open “My only opponent is the pins.” That helped me not to really worry about how awesome everyone else looked when they were bowling and just to focus on how I was doing and make sure I was making the best shots I could make. It was a really hard shot and so not all of my shots were the best ones I could make, but I made them anyway . I’m glad they have practice sessions so we know what to expect when we get there. It was a really long day.
Day 2 – NIAGARA FALLS…… oh yeah and two practice sessions, I almost forgot about those. Niagara Falls was absolutely, positively, way beyond awesome. We were very careful not to drop our phones over the edge when we were taking pictures! After some sight-seeing we went to my first practice session for the day at Tonawanda Lanes for my practice on the short oil pattern. This is a tough shot for me because I throw the ball really slow (I’m working on that this summer) and the ball hooks a lot if I miss my mark at all! There was a lot of striking by some of the girls around me. It was so neat to see people my age and just a little bit older throwing the ball so good! I told mom “I have 2 more years in this division and when I’m 12 I hope there are some 10 year olds that think I’m as awesome as I think these girls are!” Next we were off to Lancaster for long oil practice. I did really well at this practice session and I was thinking that was going to be my worst shot! There were a few people who came to meet me at this practice and take pictures. I got to see lots of friends that I had met along the way on my trips! After all of these practice sessions I knew I was ready to try my hardest for the next 3 days during the actual tournament competition!
The End…….. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! Let’s get ready to RUUUUUUMMMMMMBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEEE!
Days 3-5 – It’s all fun and games until the National Anthem plays. Well, actually, it’s pretty much fun and games then too but there is a lot more concentration after that! Everyone started filing in to watch the fight to the top. I bowled in order from long, medium and then short and I did pretty good for me. My average is only 115 and I averaged 112 for my 12 games of competition! My 12th and final game was my highest score for the tournament – 142! What an awesome way to finish!
Now, do you remember when I said there were some really good bowlers in my division? Well one of them shot 298!!!! I was done with my game and I heard the cheering so I ran down to watch her 10th frame. She threw 2 really awesome balls and then she must have been a little nervous (I would have been SUPER nervous) because she tugged the ball a little bit and only got 8. Her mom ran down and hugged her and then we all tried to give her a high 5 or shake her hand but she HUGGED all of us!!!!! Her name was Amari and she was very nice and a great bowler! I also got to bowl with Maddison Bailey who ended up winning my division. She is 12 years old and throws the ball really good! She averaged 184 for the 12 games. It took an average of 156 to make the cut in the U12 girls division. So, by my next Junior Gold am hoping that I will be able to get a lot closer to the cut! In all, Junior Gold was really fun and I can’t wait until next year in Chicago (Coach Diandra’s town- YAY)! She will love it when more than 2,000 youth bowlers invade her city!
Until next time, I hope you have less dashes and more slashes, from the IAB Kid Bowler!
- 8/31/2014: USBC Team USA NEWS: Fagan, Johnson lead Summer Team USA Trials after Round 2
- 8/31/2014: PBA NEWS: GEICO Returns as Partner of PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/30/2014: PBA NEWS: 50th Anniversary TOC Highlights PBA's 2014-15 ESPN Schedule; First Show Airs December 14
- 8/28/2014: ATTENTION BOWLERS: Storm is having a 'Back-To-League' Labor Day Weekend Sale with FREE shipping!
- 8/28/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: You won't believe how this one ends!
- 8/28/2014: Killeen Daily Herald: Duke honored for stellar PBA50 debut
- 8/28/2014: "Godzilla" the bowling cat!?!? Bowlers Journal International launches YouTube Channel...
- 8/27/2014: USBC NEWS: Summer Team USA Trials begin Friday at ITRC
- 8/27/2014: Looking for world bowling news? Check out TALKTENPIN, they've got the globe covered...
- 8/27/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review: P|tch Black - 'should be in every serious bowler’s arsenal'
- 8/27/2014: 2014 PABCON Women’s Championships Schedule and Team USA Roster
- 8/26/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles and 13th Annual Mary Teubner Memorial Pro-Am
- 8/26/2014: PBA South Region Points Leaders, Storm's Christina Hardee earns entry into PBA Regional Tour Finals on ESPN
- 8/26/2014: PBA NEWS: PBA moving administrative headquarters to Chicago
- 8/26/2014: WORLD BOWLING NEWS: World Bowling Tour finals to showcase world's best bowlers
- 8/26/2014: USBC NEWS: USBC Board, IBC Youth Committee applications due September 2nd
- 8/25/2014: Brandon Novak wins 2014 Storm Beechmont Toyota Battle at the Grove in Cincinnati
- 8/25/2014: TALKTENPIN UK: 1960's promotional film for tenpin bowling unearthed
- 8/25/2014: Fourth PBA title for Finn, Storm's two-hander Palermaa wins final WBT event in Thailand; Storm's Kulick takes women's trophy
- 8/25/2014: Storm's Shawn Maldonado wins PBA Greenville Southwest Open
- 8/25/2014: Storm's PJ Haggerty champions PBA Steve Cook's Fireside Lanes Capital City West/NW Open; Storm's Boomershine is top woman finisher
- 8/25/2014: Ryan Shafer blowing away competition in PBA East Region
- 8/24/2014: Koreans dominate Round 3 of WBT Thailand
- 8/24/2014: American debutant wins Round 2 at WBT
- 8/23/2014: Storm's Palermaa takes over lead at WBT in Thailand
- 8/22/2014: Trio cracks top bracket, Storm's Larsen leading WBT
- 8/22/2014: Storm accepts #ALSIceBucketChallenge - NOW we're calling out every bowler around the world!
- 8/21/2014: Who's birthday do you think it is!?!? Mine!
- 8/21/2014: #TBT 2012 USBC Queens Championship Match: Storm's Diandra Asbaty vs Roto Grip's Carolyn Dorin-Ballard
- 8/21/2014: PBA NEWS: Storm's Duke wins PBA50 POY and ROY, Williams and Weber top stats
- 8/21/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes in Springfield, Illinois hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles over Labor Day weekend
- 8/20/2014: Record year continues for Nidiffer with victory at New Mexico Open; Storm's Jensen and Fagan finish top 5
- 8/20/2014: The 11th Frame: Commissioner Tom Clark expects PBA deal with Bowlmor AMF
- 8/20/2014: SB Nation's 'What's A Sport And What's Not?' results from reddit poll; What do people think about bowling...?
- 8/19/2014: Junior Bowling News: 47th Annual NorCal All Star Youth Banquet
- 8/19/2014: Underground Bowling Association: Embrace the Culture!
- 8/19/2014: IAB: 10 Signs You’re In a Relationship With Bowling
- 8/19/2014: Detroit Bowling Legend, PBA Hall of Famer Gene Stus Passes Away at 74 - Services set for tomorrow
- 8/18/2014: Bowlers World to host 2nd Mega Matchmaker LIVE
- 8/18/2014: Real Bowlers Tour News: BJ Moore wins 20th Annual Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/18/2014: Wisconsin State Journal: Bowling centers learn to adapt to changing times
- 8/17/2014: Matt Gasn cruises in stepladder, defeats top seed Jonathan Schalow to win 11thFrame.com Open title
- 8/17/2014: Storm's Ryan Shafer defeats Roto Grip's Brian LeClair to win PBA Bethmann Russell Syracuse Eastern Open
- 8/17/2014: 11thframe.com Open: Greg Thomas conquers demanding condition to lead qualifying; Storm's Carbonetto leads women qualifying
- 8/16/2014: Battle Bowl V Cat Fight - Nikki vs Kelly Today 6pm EST
- 8/15/2014: Diandra Asbaty: Passion is Powerful
- 8/15/2014: IAB: The Art of Bowling Tattoos and Their Stories
- 8/15/2014: Sweden, Japan Win Masters at 2014 World Youth Championships; Team USA Wesley Low Silver Medalist
- 8/14/2014: #TBT Pete Weber - 1991 BPAA US Open
- 8/14/2014: IAB: Impressively Awesome Bowling Loft Shot by Marshall Kent
- 8/14/2014: Standout Bowling Mobile Apps
- 8/14/2014: Watch Live-Streaming of 2014 World Youth Championships on BowlTV
- 8/14/2014: Year 10 Student To Bowl for England After 'Striking Against' Scoliosis
- 8/13/2014: Norm Duke Earns PBA50 Player and Rookie of the Year; W.R. Williams Wins PBA50 Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/13/2014: The Foul Line: Ryan Shafer
- 8/13/2014: USA Win Team Gold Medal at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/13/2014: Junior Team USA Two-Handed Southpaw Wesley Low Rolls First 300 Game of 13th CGSE World Youth Championships
- 8/12/2014: Duke Retains Inside Track in PBA50 Player of the Year Race, Leading Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/12/2014: Treasure Island Resort & Casino Bowl Down Cancer Charity Bowling Match Raises Hundreds of Thousands of Pennies
- 8/12/2014: 11th Annual New Mexico Open presented by Tenpins & More, Storm August 11-17
- 8/12/2014: Illinois State Bowling Hall of Famer, Former Senior PBA Rookie of the Year Makes Great Catch on Homer, Then Throws Back Different Ball
- 8/12/2014: England's Barnsley Metrodome to Host 15th Annual Weber Cup in October
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Mike Edwards Leads PBA50 Treasure Island Casino & Resort After One Round; Weber, Duke and Pedersen Top 10
- 8/11/2014: Did You Celebrate National Bowling Day This Weekend?
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Tammy Turner to be Enshrined Into Utah State USBC WBA Hall of Fame for Superior Performance
- 8/11/2014: UBA Batte Bowl V Starts Friday at Host Center Brunswick Zone Carolier Lanes
- 8/11/2014: 10 Things That Really Matter In Bowling!
- 8/11/2014: USA, Sweden Win Doubles at 2014 World Youth Championships - Congratulations Sarah Lokker and Liz Kuhlkin
- 8/11/2014: 11thframe.com Open August 16-17 in Dubuque, Iowa
- 8/10/2014: Storm's Anthony Pepe Wins PBA Bowlers Supply East Open, Capturing First Career Region Title
- 8/09/2014: PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber Takes On Kare 11 Sports' Eric Perkins in Charity Match Tomorrow
- 8/09/2014: Korea Sweeps Singles at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/08/2014: You Know You’re A Bowler When . . .
- 8/07/2014: Storm's Jack Jurek Wins PBA50 South Shore Open; Pedersen Continues Torrid Pace Since Trip to Storm Last Month
- 8/07/2014: 50th Anniversary Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions Returns to Indy
- 8/07/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: 1993 Team USA Trials - Liz Johnson vs Tammy Turner
- 8/07/2014: WYC Today: Ball Registration and Official Practice Squads A, B, C and D
- 8/07/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Hall of Famer Jason Couch Wins PBA East “Super Regional”; Haggerty's Welcome Twin Bundles of Joy
- 8/07/2014: The Junior Gold Experience 5-Day Diary!
- 8/06/2014: Second Round 846 Series Catapults Weber Into PBA50 South Shore Open Lead; Jurek and Pedersen In Top-5
- 8/06/2014: 76th Bowlers Journal All-American Team presented by USBC
- 8/06/2014: Does Fear of Injury Keep You From the Gym?
- 8/06/2014: Thailand Event Will Finalize 2014 World Bowling Tour Rankings; Belmo Just 17 Points Off Lead, Kulick Has Comfortable Lead on Women's Side
- 8/06/2014: Hong Kong 2014 World Youth Championships Declared Open After Opening Ceremony
- 8/06/2014: Grand Strand Bowling For Vets: Combining Love of Bowling With Love of Country
- 8/05/2014: Harry Sullins Leads PBA50 South Shore Open First Round; Jurek, Weber and Pedersen in Top-10
- 8/05/2014: Entries Open August 15 for PBA World Series of Bowling VI, Will Include Traditional Animal Lane Patterns
- 8/05/2014: Bowling in NASCAR Spotlight at Pocono Raceway
- 8/05/2014: Junior Team USA Already Having Memorable Week in Hong Kong
- 8/05/2014: Scroggins Brothers Name Members of 10-Lefty Group for 2015 USBC Open Championships
- 8/04/2014: Learn More About Youth Education Services (YES) High School Grant Assistance Program
- 8/04/2014: World Youth Championships Begin this Week in Hong Kong
- 8/04/2014: Storm Products Is New Presenting Sponsor of Junior Gold Championships
- 8/03/2014: Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Mixed Doubles Tournament Results
- 8/03/2014: Storm Web Press Conference Tomorrow Regarding Youth Bowling
- 8/03/2014: USA Wins Three Team Titles at Tournament of the Americas; Tish Johnson, Steelsmith and Teel Take Home All Events Trophies
- 8/01/2014: Chicagoland Area to Host 2015 USBC Junior Gold Championships
- 8/01/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review, Storm Optimus Quickly Becoming a Wildly Popular Arsenal Addition
- 8/01/2014: United States Dominates Mixed Doubles at Tournament of the Americas
- 8/01/2014: PBA Bowlers Supply East Open presented by Storm
- 8/01/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Regional Points Competition Races Heating Up, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard Becomes PBA50 Tour Eligible
- 8/01/2014: World Bowling Community Set to Grow as Digital Presence Expands