Bowling News USA - August 6, 2014 Does Fear of Injury Keep You From the Gym?
by Heather D’Errico, CPT, CSCS • Fitness for Bowling Blog
(Tiger Woods withdrew from the 111th US Open Championship in 2001 due to knee pain)
Photo Credit | politicolnews.com
While visiting with my mom this weekend we struck a conversation that I thought would make an interesting topic for a blog. She has always been a huge Tiger Woods fan and loves watching golf. If you also enjoy golf you may have seen over the weekend that Tiger pulled himself out of the Bridgestone Invitational due to an ongoing back issue. The ESPN news crew began discussing the issue and pointed out that Tiger has been all about getting in the gym and doing some hardcore training for golf to be in the best shape possible, so shouldn’t that keep him from being injured?
I think this is where a lot of people become afraid to start hitting the gym, there is this fear that it won’t help your performance but may actually hurt it. With bowling, there is a theory out there that having too much muscle mass would hinder performance because it is more difficult to have a loose arm swing. Then we see some individuals who take to training but end up with a back, knee, hip, or shoulder injury and we wonder if it is really worth it.
My opinion is this: there are many different ways to train depending on your goals; training for a sport as an athlete is far different than someone training for physique or to “tone up”. The goals of an athlete are to increase performance, and decrease the risk to become injured. I think where bowlers often get mixed up in this is that they don’t know where to start or what to do to help their game when they hit the gym. Many times people come to me with the goal of weight loss so they start with some form of lifting and cardio. This is all gravy and doing something is always better than nothing.
However, the most important component for an athlete of any sport should be mobility. Athletes should be spending 15-20 minutes of every workout on mobility movements and neuromuscular activation. I would say a majority of the people at the gym do a 5-10 minute warm up and some stretches before working out, but that is not enough. Think of mobility exercises as something like yoga, activating and relaxing certain body parts around their joints to achieve full range of motion. It’s like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz using the oiling can to get the kinks out and move smoother; that is what mobility exercises do for us.
Now, I am sure that Tiger Woods has enough money to pay for one of the best trainers around so I can’t say that his training program isn’t top notch. However, golf is a lot like bowling in that having the most muscle mass or brute strength isn’t necessarily going to make you any better, there are many muscular imbalances and movement deficiencies created requiring a functional strength program that has a focus on that mobility component and trunk stability. IF for some reason he were doing too much strength training, especially with movements that isolate muscle groups, without a focus on mobility he could very well be doing more harm than good.
So what I want to throw out there for anyone that is hesitant to maybe get into better shape with that anxiety that they will end up doing more harm than good. I say this: consider the goals of your fitness and keep your modalities of training in that realm. Try not to let physique be the main focus as it should be about moving better and more efficiently to prevent injury and have better health.
Hit the gym but for the right reasons, body composition is a small fraction of actually being healthy and fit and it will inevitably improve with consistency and nutrition over time. Know that sometimes in sports or everyday life injuries can happen by just moving the wrong way and tweaking something, but overall you are reducing the risk of injury greatly if you take care of your body with QUALITY training. If you are a novice to exercise and do not know what to do, find someone who can help teach you proper exercise techniques and keep the guessing out of it. I think you will find that fear will diminish and that extra effort is worth it in the long run.
- 8/31/2014: USBC Team USA NEWS: Fagan, Johnson lead Summer Team USA Trials after Round 2
- 8/31/2014: PBA NEWS: GEICO Returns as Partner of PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/30/2014: PBA NEWS: 50th Anniversary TOC Highlights PBA's 2014-15 ESPN Schedule; First Show Airs December 14
- 8/28/2014: ATTENTION BOWLERS: Storm is having a 'Back-To-League' Labor Day Weekend Sale with FREE shipping!
- 8/28/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: You won't believe how this one ends!
- 8/28/2014: Killeen Daily Herald: Duke honored for stellar PBA50 debut
- 8/28/2014: "Godzilla" the bowling cat!?!? Bowlers Journal International launches YouTube Channel...
- 8/27/2014: USBC NEWS: Summer Team USA Trials begin Friday at ITRC
- 8/27/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review: P|tch Black - 'should be in every serious bowler’s arsenal'
- 8/27/2014: 2014 PABCON Women’s Championships Schedule and Team USA Roster
- 8/26/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles and 13th Annual Mary Teubner Memorial Pro-Am
- 8/26/2014: PBA South Region Points Leaders, Storm's Christina Hardee earns entry for GEICO PBA World Series of Bowling VI
- 8/26/2014: PBA NEWS: PBA moving administrative headquarters to Chicago
- 8/26/2014: WORLD BOWLING NEWS: World Bowling Tour finals to showcase world's best bowlers
- 8/26/2014: USBC NEWS: USBC Board, IBC Youth Committee applications due September 2nd
- 8/25/2014: Brandon Novak wins 2014 Storm Beechmont Toyota Battle at the Grove in Cincinnati
- 8/25/2014: TALKTENPIN UK: 1960's promotional film for tenpin bowling unearthed
- 8/25/2014: Fourth PBA title for Finn, Storm's two-hander Palermaa wins final WBT event in Thailand; Storm's Kulick takes women's trophy
- 8/25/2014: Storm's Shawn Maldonado wins PBA Greenville Southwest Open
- 8/25/2014: Storm's PJ Haggerty champions PBA Steve Cook's Fireside Lanes Capital City West/NW Open; Storm's Boomershine is top woman finisher
- 8/25/2014: Ryan Shafer blowing away competition in PBA East Region
- 8/24/2014: Koreans dominate Round 3 of WBT Thailand
- 8/24/2014: American debutant wins Round 2 at WBT
- 8/23/2014: Storm's Palermaa takes over lead at WBT in Thailand
- 8/22/2014: Trio cracks top bracket, Storm's Larsen leading WBT
- 8/22/2014: Storm accepts #ALSIceBucketChallenge - NOW we're calling out every bowler around the world!
- 8/21/2014: Who's birthday do you think it is!?!? Mine!
- 8/21/2014: #TBT 2012 USBC Queens Championship Match: Storm's Diandra Asbaty vs Roto Grip's Carolyn Dorin-Ballard
- 8/21/2014: PBA NEWS: Storm's Duke wins PBA50 POY and ROY, Williams and Weber top stats
- 8/21/2014: The 11th Frame: King Pins Lanes in Springfield, Illinois hosting 2 PBA Regionals, Storm Doubles over Labor Day weekend
- 8/20/2014: Record year continues for Nidiffer with victory at New Mexico Open; Storm's Jensen and Fagan finish top 5
- 8/20/2014: The 11th Frame: Commissioner Tom Clark expects PBA deal with Bowlmor AMF
- 8/20/2014: SB Nation's 'What's A Sport And What's Not?' results from reddit poll; What do people think about bowling...?
- 8/19/2014: Junior Bowling News: 47th Annual NorCal All Star Youth Banquet
- 8/19/2014: Underground Bowling Association: Embrace the Culture!
- 8/19/2014: IAB: 10 Signs You’re In a Relationship With Bowling
- 8/19/2014: Detroit Bowling Legend, PBA Hall of Famer Gene Stus Passes Away at 74 - Services set for tomorrow
- 8/18/2014: Bowlers World to host 2nd Mega Matchmaker LIVE
- 8/18/2014: Real Bowlers Tour News: BJ Moore wins 20th Annual Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/18/2014: Wisconsin State Journal: Bowling centers learn to adapt to changing times
- 8/17/2014: Matt Gasn cruises in stepladder, defeats top seed Jonathan Schalow to win 11thFrame.com Open title
- 8/17/2014: Storm's Ryan Shafer defeats Roto Grip's Brian LeClair to win PBA Bethmann Russell Syracuse Eastern Open
- 8/17/2014: 11thframe.com Open: Greg Thomas conquers demanding condition to lead qualifying; Storm's Carbonetto leads women qualifying
- 8/16/2014: Battle Bowl V Cat Fight - Nikki vs Kelly Today 6pm EST
- 8/15/2014: Diandra Asbaty: Passion is Powerful
- 8/15/2014: IAB: The Art of Bowling Tattoos and Their Stories
- 8/15/2014: Sweden, Japan Win Masters at 2014 World Youth Championships; Team USA Wesley Low Silver Medalist
- 8/14/2014: #TBT Pete Weber - 1991 BPAA US Open
- 8/14/2014: IAB: Impressively Awesome Bowling Loft Shot by Marshall Kent
- 8/14/2014: Standout Bowling Mobile Apps
- 8/14/2014: Watch Live-Streaming of 2014 World Youth Championships on BowlTV
- 8/14/2014: Year 10 Student To Bowl for England After 'Striking Against' Scoliosis
- 8/13/2014: Norm Duke Earns PBA50 Player and Rookie of the Year; W.R. Williams Wins PBA50 Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/13/2014: The Foul Line: Ryan Shafer
- 8/13/2014: USA Win Team Gold Medal at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/13/2014: Junior Team USA Two-Handed Southpaw Wesley Low Rolls First 300 Game of 13th CGSE World Youth Championships
- 8/12/2014: Duke Retains Inside Track in PBA50 Player of the Year Race, Leading Treasure Island Resort & Casino Open
- 8/12/2014: Treasure Island Resort & Casino Bowl Down Cancer Charity Bowling Match Raises Hundreds of Thousands of Pennies
- 8/12/2014: 11th Annual New Mexico Open presented by Tenpins & More, Storm August 11-17
- 8/12/2014: Illinois State Bowling Hall of Famer, Former Senior PBA Rookie of the Year Makes Great Catch on Homer, Then Throws Back Different Ball
- 8/12/2014: England's Barnsley Metrodome to Host 15th Annual Weber Cup in October
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Mike Edwards Leads PBA50 Treasure Island Casino & Resort After One Round; Weber, Duke and Pedersen Top 10
- 8/11/2014: Did You Celebrate National Bowling Day This Weekend?
- 8/11/2014: Storm's Tammy Turner to be Enshrined Into Utah State USBC WBA Hall of Fame for Superior Performance
- 8/11/2014: UBA Batte Bowl V Starts Friday at Host Center Brunswick Zone Carolier Lanes
- 8/11/2014: 10 Things That Really Matter In Bowling!
- 8/11/2014: USA, Sweden Win Doubles at 2014 World Youth Championships - Congratulations Sarah Lokker and Liz Kuhlkin
- 8/11/2014: 11thframe.com Open August 16-17 in Dubuque, Iowa
- 8/10/2014: Storm's Anthony Pepe Wins PBA Bowlers Supply East Open, Capturing First Career Region Title
- 8/09/2014: PBA Hall of Famer Pete Weber Takes On Kare 11 Sports' Eric Perkins in Charity Match Tomorrow
- 8/09/2014: Korea Sweeps Singles at 2014 World Youth Championships
- 8/08/2014: You Know You’re A Bowler When . . .
- 8/07/2014: Storm's Jack Jurek Wins PBA50 South Shore Open; Pedersen Continues Torrid Pace Since Trip to Storm Last Month
- 8/07/2014: 50th Anniversary Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions Returns to Indy
- 8/07/2014: #TBT USBC Retro Roll: 1993 Team USA Trials - Liz Johnson vs Tammy Turner
- 8/07/2014: WYC Today: Ball Registration and Official Practice Squads A, B, C and D
- 8/07/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Hall of Famer Jason Couch Wins PBA East “Super Regional”; Haggerty's Welcome Twin Bundles of Joy
- 8/07/2014: The Junior Gold Experience 5-Day Diary!
- 8/06/2014: Second Round 846 Series Catapults Weber Into PBA50 South Shore Open Lead; Jurek and Pedersen In Top-5
- 8/06/2014: 76th Bowlers Journal All-American Team presented by USBC
- 8/06/2014: Does Fear of Injury Keep You From the Gym?
- 8/06/2014: Thailand Event Will Finalize 2014 World Bowling Tour Rankings; Belmo Just 17 Points Off Lead, Kulick Has Comfortable Lead on Women's Side
- 8/06/2014: Hong Kong 2014 World Youth Championships Declared Open After Opening Ceremony
- 8/06/2014: Grand Strand Bowling For Vets: Combining Love of Bowling With Love of Country
- 8/05/2014: Harry Sullins Leads PBA50 South Shore Open First Round; Jurek, Weber and Pedersen in Top-10
- 8/05/2014: Entries Open August 15 for PBA World Series of Bowling VI, Will Include Traditional Animal Lane Patterns
- 8/05/2014: Bowling in NASCAR Spotlight at Pocono Raceway
- 8/05/2014: Junior Team USA Already Having Memorable Week in Hong Kong
- 8/05/2014: Scroggins Brothers Name Members of 10-Lefty Group for 2015 USBC Open Championships
- 8/04/2014: Learn More About Youth Education Services (YES) High School Grant Assistance Program
- 8/04/2014: World Youth Championships Begin this Week in Hong Kong
- 8/04/2014: Storm Products Is New Presenting Sponsor of Junior Gold Championships
- 8/03/2014: Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Mixed Doubles Tournament Results
- 8/03/2014: Storm Web Press Conference Tomorrow Regarding Youth Bowling
- 8/03/2014: USA Wins Three Team Titles at Tournament of the Americas; Tish Johnson, Steelsmith and Teel Take Home All Events Trophies
- 8/01/2014: Chicagoland Area to Host 2015 USBC Junior Gold Championships
- 8/01/2014: 11thframe.com Ball Review, Storm Optimus Quickly Becoming a Wildly Popular Arsenal Addition
- 8/01/2014: United States Dominates Mixed Doubles at Tournament of the Americas
- 8/01/2014: PBA Bowlers Supply East Open presented by Storm
- 8/01/2014: PBA Spare Shots: Regional Points Competition Races Heating Up, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard Becomes PBA50 Tour Eligible
- 8/01/2014: World Bowling Community Set to Grow as Digital Presence Expands