Bowling News USA - March 17, 2014 Storm's Tim Mack Leads Squad at 2014 Brunswick Euro Challenge
Storm staffer Tim Mack rolled a 1488 series Sunday afternoon at Dream-Bowl Palace in Munich, Germany, to become the first player in the 2014 Brunswick Euro Challenge, who cracked the 1400-bar.
Mack, who has won numerous international titles in his career including a gold medal at the 2003 World Championships, started Squad 4 with games of 254, 177 and 243 and closed out with an 814 three-game series (258, 288 and 268), an average of 248 over six games.
Tom Hess, who won his lone PBA title in the 2011 Bayer USBC Masters, averaged 235.50 including five games between 208 and 244 and a high game of 289 to overtake second place.
Places 3 to 5 belonged to Squad 3 bowlers. Thomas Gross of Austria led the squad with 1391 including three 246 games to improve his high series from Day One by 114 pins but to slip one spot to third place.
Fresh off a third place finish in the 11th Kuwait International Open 2014 last week, Roto Grip's Stuart Williams of England rolled a 1382 series to leap into fourth place with fellow one-time PBA titlist, Jason Sterner, United States, in fifth place on 1361.
Defending champion Ronnie Russell, United States, was third in Squad 4 with 1319, good for sixth place. Belgian youth bowler Giancarlo Ragusa was mere four pins behind Russell to move into seventh place.
Overnight leader Andrey Suslov Ukraine, fell seven spots to eighth place with 1308. Qualifying continues on Tuesday, March 18, with Squads 5 & 6 starting at 4 and 8 p.m. CET.
The Brunswick Euro Challenge is the fourth tournament on the 2014 European Bowling Tour schedule and one of only two "Platinum" events this season, the EBT's highest tournament category. The BEC is also the 10th stop of the World Bowling Tour and will award a PBA International title, if won by a PBA member.
The 11th issue of Europe's richest tournament will be held from March 15-23 at Europe's biggest bowling center, 52-lane Dream-Bowl Palace in Unterföhring in suburban Munich, Germany.
The Tournament offers an increased total prize fund of 111.111 Euro with 11.111 Euro going to the winner, 9.000 Euro to the runner-up and 7.000 Euro to the third place finisher.
Bowlingdigital.com will provide Live Coverage and Live Streaming of the last day of qualifying and the whole finals. The stepladder final will be broadcast live on Bowlingdigital TV Sunday, March 23, from 17:00 to 18:00 Central European Time (starts at noon Eastern Daylight Time or Monday, March 24, at 0.00 a.m. Hong Kong Time).
Qualifying will kick off Saturday, March 15, with two squads and runs through Saturday, March. 22, with the final Squad 18 slated for 8 p.m. CET. Qualifying concludes with the ultimate one-game Desperado Squad at 11.30 p.m. Women receive eight pins handicap each game, a standard for women on the European Bowling Tour.
A total of 64 players will qualify for the finals on Sunday, March 23, including the top 52 qualifiers, the top 8 of a separate leaderboard of the squads conducted March 15-19 plus the top 4 of the Desperado Squad.
The top 12 qualifiers will receive one bye. The other 52 players will bowl six games scratch to cut to the top 16 who will join the top 12 qualifiers in Round Two. Those 28 will bowl another six games scratch after which the field will be trimmed to the top 8 for match play.
Round Two pinfall will be carried forward. The top 3 players after seven games round robin match play (30 pins bonus for a win; 15 for a tie) will determine the champion in a stepladder final. The No. 3 seed bowls the No. 2 seed and the winner of the semifinal match takes on the No. 1 seed for the title and the 11.111 Euro top prize.
The 2014 European Bowling Tour features 20 tournaments in 14 countries. In its 15th season, the EBT consists of two Platinum, six Gold, three Silver and nine Satellite tournaments. The total prize fund exceeds one million Euro.
The top 50 men and the top 50 women in each event receive ranking points. Those points will be tabulated throughout the season to determine the top 12 men and top 12 women, who will compete in the eighth EBT Masters in Asti, Italy, on July 6, 2015.
The 2014 World Bowling Tour, which actually got underway in November 2013 with the PBA World Championship, consists of 15 tournaments in Arabia (6), Asia (3), United States (3), Europe (2) and Australia (1).
Players earn ranking points based on how they finish in each event. The current points system is based on a continuous two-year cycle, so some points earned in 2012 and all points from the 2013 and 2014 are added to determine the points list.
The top three men and top three women in the WBT Point Ranking will be invited to compete in the 2014 World Bowling Tour Finals, which will be held in conjunction with the PBA World Series of Bowling VI from Oct. 24 through Nov. 2 at South Point in Las Vegas.
The World Tenpin Bowling Association, which is made up of 111 bowling federations, governs the sport throughout the world. For more information on WTBA and the World Bowling Tour, click here.
- 3/27/2014: Kloempken Snaps Off The Ringin' Ten Classic For Third Time...
- 3/27/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show
- 3/26/2014: Norm Enters The PBA50 Ring...
- 3/25/2014: Lindsay's Excellent Adventures
- 3/23/2014: Hitmen Advance in PBA League Action
- 3/23/2014: Storm's Marshall Kent Breaks Thru in Munich...Losch Third
- 3/21/2014: PBA Summer Swing Dates Announced
- 3/20/2014: Sharon Powers To 24th Annual Golden Ladies Classic Tournament Win!
- 3/19/2014: Zero Gravity Featuring The Storm Nation!
- 3/19/2014: Storm Products Inc. Crash The Leaderboard in Reno...
- 3/18/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 3/17/2014: 'Coach K' Back From Successful Visit to Singapore...
- 3/17/2014: Storm's Tim Mack Leads Squad at 2014 Brunswick Euro Challenge
- 3/14/2014: Thomas Larsen Wins 11th Kuwait International Open
- 3/14/2014: Ryan Shafer, Jeff Carter Join the 'Bus' in Fundraiser...
- 3/13/2014: South-West Florida Classic Youth Eliminator Results
- 3/12/2014: A Rash, Belmonte Showdown Brewing in Kuwait
- 3/10/2014: Curtis Odom Vaults to Open Championships All Events Lead with IQ Tour Fusion
- 3/07/2014: UAE's Shaker Al Hassan Wins 12th Kingdom of Bahrain International Open with IQ Tour!
- 3/06/2014: A Look Back at Belmo's Masters Win
- 3/05/2014: Chuck Groat Wins Border War XV
- 3/04/2014: The Storm Zero Gravity is Available Today!
- 3/03/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 3/01/2014: USBC Open Championships Begin in Reno...