Bowling News USA - March 1, 2014 USBC Open Championships Begin in Reno...
The National Bowling Stadium has played a big role in the history of the United States Bowling Congress Open Championships, and that tradition continued Friday as the 111th edition of the tournament kicked off in The Biggest Little City in the World.
Hundreds of bowlers, fans, friends, family and dignitaries helped usher in the 2014 USBC Open Championships, which will run for 136 days, concluding July 13. It is the event's record 12th trip to Reno and ninth visit to the NBS.
The Opening-Day festivities included a ribbon cutting, traditional Mass Ball Shot Ceremony and live entertainment from the cast of "Ring of Fire," a musical based on the music of American singer-songwriter Johnny Cash. The show is playing at the Eldorado Showroom until May 4.
As has been the tradition since 1951, Joe Bowler presided over the opening ceremony and helped officially start the tournament by throwing out the first ball. This year, the honor went to 63-year-old James Campton of Leavenworth, Kan., who knocked down five pins on his initial delivery.
"It was quite an experience," said Campton, who made his 16th Open Championships appearance overall and second on Opening Day. "I enjoyed it, and it was a lot of fun, but a little nerve-wracking, too. I'll say this much, it's something that I'll never forget."
On the lanes, Team Keeney of Casey, Ill., set the pace in Regular Team with a 2,731 total. The group was led by Chad Stevens, who shot 589. He was followed by Travis Heil (567), Stan Keeney (544), Tom Elsberry (525) and Jim Osborne (506).
In the Classified Division, Fagan Trucking of Shelton, Neb., set the bar with a 2,416 effort. Richard Hadenfeldt contributed a 586 series and was joined by Chuck Wellensiek (497), Van Alberts (485), Jan Hadenfeldt (469) and Dorothy Obermeier (379).
Friday's squad included the first of more than 9,000 teams that will make their way to the NBS for this year's Open Championships, one of a handful of events being held in Reno in the coming months.
The 2014 USBC Women's Championships will return to the nearby Reno-Sparks Convention Center from April 11 until June 30. The RSCC also will welcome the XBowling Intercollegiate Singles and Team Championships (April 13-18), while the NBS hosts the USBC Queens, Senior Queens and Senior Championships in late June and early July.
The first night of the 2014 Open Championships also marked the first live stream broadcast of the year from Reno (click here to watch the archived video). There are nearly 30 broadcasts on the schedule, and they all will air on BowlTV, which is being sponsored by Track. View live stream schedule.
Presenting sponsors for the 2014 USBC Open Championships include Circus Circus Reno, Eldorado Hotel Casino Reno and Silver Legacy Resort Casino Reno.
- 3/27/2014: Kloempken Snaps Off The Ringin' Ten Classic For Third Time...
- 3/27/2014: The Mike Jasnau Show
- 3/26/2014: Norm Enters The PBA50 Ring...
- 3/25/2014: Lindsay's Excellent Adventures
- 3/23/2014: Hitmen Advance in PBA League Action
- 3/23/2014: Storm's Marshall Kent Breaks Thru in Munich...Losch Third
- 3/21/2014: PBA Summer Swing Dates Announced
- 3/20/2014: Sharon Powers To 24th Annual Golden Ladies Classic Tournament Win!
- 3/19/2014: Zero Gravity Featuring The Storm Nation!
- 3/19/2014: Storm Products Inc. Crash The Leaderboard in Reno...
- 3/18/2014: PBA League Action, Sunday on ESPN
- 3/17/2014: 'Coach K' Back From Successful Visit to Singapore...
- 3/17/2014: Storm's Tim Mack Leads Squad at 2014 Brunswick Euro Challenge
- 3/14/2014: Thomas Larsen Wins 11th Kuwait International Open
- 3/14/2014: Ryan Shafer, Jeff Carter Join the 'Bus' in Fundraiser...
- 3/13/2014: South-West Florida Classic Youth Eliminator Results
- 3/12/2014: A Rash, Belmonte Showdown Brewing in Kuwait
- 3/10/2014: Curtis Odom Vaults to Open Championships All Events Lead with IQ Tour Fusion
- 3/07/2014: UAE's Shaker Al Hassan Wins 12th Kingdom of Bahrain International Open with IQ Tour!
- 3/06/2014: A Look Back at Belmo's Masters Win
- 3/05/2014: Chuck Groat Wins Border War XV
- 3/04/2014: The Storm Zero Gravity is Available Today!
- 3/03/2014: Fitness For Bowling Blog with Heather D’Errico-CSCS, CPT, Fitness Specialist
- 3/01/2014: USBC Open Championships Begin in Reno...