Bowling News USA - August 31, 2013 Finnish Men, Korean Women Take Gold in Team Event as World Championships Conclude
The Finnish men won the first gold medal since 30 years in the Team event when they defeated three-time defending champion United States, 1183-1126, in a re-match of the 2010 Men's World Championships.
With the Finnish victory in the prestigious five-player Team event competition in the 2013 combined adult WTBA World Championships concluded at Sunset Station's Strike Zone in Henderson, Nev.
The first combined Championships since 2003 will conclude later this evening with the Award Ceremonies for the Team events and the Victory Banquet.
Finland's Perttu Jussila, Tony Ranta, Petteri Salonen, Pasi Uotila and Osku Palermaa took revenge for 2010, when the USA defeated Finland 1073-1057 in a come-from-behind victory in Munich, Germany.
The higher-seeded Americans had chosen the 39-feet Seoul lane conditioning pattern for the finals battled it out for the title in a packed Strike Zone bowling center.
The match was close until the seventh frame when the Finns started to pull away. They widened the lead frame-by-frame but didn't make the mistake to count the Americans out.
John Janawicz, Mike Fagan, Bill O'Neill, Tommy Jones and Chris Barnes all struck in the ninth frame but the Finns rebounded with a strike in the 10th frame to wrap up the title.
Uotila, who led his team with a 267 in the semifinal win against the top-seeded Koreans yesterday, was the "man of the match" with 279 and was followed by Salonen (258), Ranta (236), Jussila (206) and Palermaa (204).
Team USA led the men's medal with three gold, two silver and three bronze medals. Korea was next with one gold, two silver and four bronze medals. Canada (Trios) and Finland shared the remaining gold medals.
Korea's Ryu Seo-Yeon, Lee Na-Young, Kim Moon-Jeong, Jung Da-Wun and Son Yun-Hee, who made the finals in fourth place, defeated the top-seeded U.S. women Stefanie Nation, Missy Parkin, Shannon O'Keefe, Kelly Kulick and Liz Johnson 1159-992, to win the coveted gold medal in the Women's Team event at the 2013 WTBA World Championships.
It is third women's team gold medal for Korea at World Championships after 1999 and 2009 and the fourth gold medal in this championships by the Korean women (fifth overall).
The Koreans took the lead in the second frame when three U.S. players suffered big splits which all resulted in open frames.
Moon-Jeong, who started with a seven-bagger, Da-Wun got the front four, Na-Young opened with a double Seo-Yeon struck on four of her first six shots and Yun-Hee, who won the gold medal in Masters this morning had a six-bagger from frame 3 to 8, to widen the lead to more than 130 pins after eight frames.
Kulick (five-bagger), Johnson (four-bagger), Parkin (three-bagger) kept the U.S. hopes alive but the team, which led the qualifying to earn the No. 1 seed, could not narrow the gap and the Koreans cruised to the title.
Moon-Jeong led the team with 267 and was followed by Na-Young (246), Yun-Hee (238), Da-Wun (224) and Seo-Yeon (184). With the victory in the Team event, the Korea led the women's medal tally with four gold, two silver and one bronze medal. The United States won the remaining two gold medals plus two silver and one bronze. Total 12 countries won medals.
The Korean men and women led the overall medal tally with five gold medals, four silver and five bronze medals, just one bronze medal ahead of Team USA thanks to an outstanding final day in which the Koreans took swept the gold medals in Masters and also captured the women's Team title.
The 2014 Men's World Championships and the 2015 Women's World Championships will be held in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
(courtesy: bowlingdigital.com - bowl.com)
- 8/31/2013: 2013 High Roller Super Senior Masters Results
- 8/31/2013: Finnish Men, Korean Women Take Gold in Team Event as World Championships Conclude
- 8/30/2013: This Just In....Kerry Painter, $10,000 Winner of High Roller's Super Senior Masters
- 8/28/2013: High Roller Super Senior Masters Sweeper Results
- 8/28/2013: Diandra Ready To Defend at 2013 Queens
- 8/27/2013: 2012 Queens Rewind
- 8/27/2013: The Storm BYTE™
- 8/27/2013: Team Korea Takes Women's Trio's in a Thriller...
- 8/26/2013: Team Canada Takes Gold in Men's Trios
- 8/23/2013: USA Women Take Gold and Silver in Women's Doubles...Kulick Perfect with IQ™ Tour...
- 8/22/2013: Elite Youth Tour Rolls Through Minnesota!
- 8/22/2013: Barnes, Szczerbinski Win Doubles Gold at World Championships...
- 8/21/2013: Weber Celebrates Birthday with Second PBA50 Title
- 8/21/2013: 2013 New Mexico Open Results
- 8/21/2013: Underground Bowling Association 2013 Battle Bowl Results
- 8/21/2013: Ryu Seo-Yeon Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl To Gold in World Women's Singles
- 8/20/2013: AJ Rice Rolls Hy-Road™ Pearl to Victory at Eric DeFreitas Scratch Classic
- 8/20/2013: 2012 USBC Queens Rewind
- 8/20/2013: Enter the Queens Watch & Win Contest!
- 8/20/2013: Bill O'Neill Wins Gold in Men's Singles
- 8/19/2013: World Championships Underway in Las Vegas...
- 8/17/2013: Welcome Underground Bowling Association!
- 8/16/2013: Robin Romeo, Hugh Miller Take Gold in World Senior Masters...
- 8/16/2013: Belmonte The Man To Beat in PBA Player of The Year Race...
- 8/15/2013: Joe Scarborough Storm 900 Ring Presentation
- 8/15/2013: World Senior Championships Continue at Red Rock...Mohr, Romeo Take All-Events Gold...
- 8/14/2013: High Miller, Ron Mohr Soar To Gold in Las Vegas...
- 8/14/2013: Painter/Adcock Notch PBA50 Doubles Title...
- 8/13/2013: Lucy Sandelin, Christer Danielsson Crowned World Senior Singles Champions...
- 8/12/2013: The World Arrives in Las Vegas
- 8/09/2013: Friday Funday - Ouch!
- 8/09/2013: World Tenpin Senior Championships Roll in Vegas
- 8/08/2013: Walter Ray Over Mark in PBA50 All-Williams Showdown...
- 8/07/2013: O'Neill, O'Keefe Win Luci Bonneau Memorial Striking Against Breast Cancer Tournament
- 8/07/2013: Tom Daughtery Captures PBA Southern Regional Players Invitational.
- 8/07/2013: Storm Video Clip Goes Viral...
- 8/07/2013: Pete Weber Leads PBA50 Event in Hammond
- 8/05/2013: Osku Palermaa Wins World Games Gold...
- 8/02/2013: Fagan, Kulick Golden at World Games
- 8/02/2013: Bowling Coach/Writer John Jowdy Passes Away
- 8/02/2013: Jason Walsh Wins Barrier Reef Motel Open in Australia
- 8/01/2013: In The Bag - 2013 Lipton Bowling's U.S Open