Bowling News USA - June 17, 2013 Catch Pete and Norm on CBS Sports Network Tuesday!
Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open
(Event No. 2 from the GEICO PBA Summer Swing presented by Lucas Oil)
Tournament: Lucas Oil PBA Wolf Open (second of five telecasts from the GEICO PBA Summer Swing presented by Lucas Oil.
Where: AMF Bowlero, Wauwatosa, Wis.
Finals Format: Five-player stepladder (two-hour telecast)
Television: CBS Sports Network (Tuesday, June 18, at 7 p.m. ET). Veteran PBA announcer Dave Ryan and PBA Hall of Famer Randy Pedersen will provide commentary.
Tournament Notes: Qualifying and match play rounds of the Wolf Open were conducted at AMF West in Milwaukee.
Storm Notes: Three players on the show will be using Storm and Roto Grip equipment: Weber, Duke and Loschetter
The Wolf Open was named for one of three new “animal” lane conditioning patterns introduced by the PBA specifically for the Summer Swing. The Wolf lane condition involved an application of oil to a length of 32 feet, the shortest oiling pattern of the eight PBA “animal patterns.” The Badger, Wolf and Bear lane conditions were the first new additions to the PBA’s “animal pattern” collection of lane conditioning patterns since the introduction of the Chameleon, Cheetah, Scorpion, Shark and Viper patterns in 2005. (The Cheetah pattern, at 36 feet, was previously the shortest pattern).
The Stepladder Finalists: In the opening match of the Wolf Open, No. 5 qualifier Bill O’Neill of Langhorne, Pa., 31, will make his 21st career PBA Tour television appearance and first since winning the 2012 Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Cheetah Championship during the 2012 PBA World Series of Bowling IV in Las Vegas last November (he defeated Mike Wolfe of New Albany, Ind., 243-192, for the title).
O’Neill’s opponent will be PBA Hall of Famer and 37-time Tour champion Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo. Weber, 50, is in his 33rd year of PBA Tour competition. His last victory was in the 2013 Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions in Indianapolis where he became the oldest player ever to win that event, claimed a record 10th PBA major title, and became the only player in PBA history to complete the “Triple Crown” (TOC, U.S. Open and PBA World Championship) twice.
The winner of the opening match will meet 20-year-old PBA Tour rookie E.J. Tackett of Huntington, Ind., who is making his PBA television debut. Tackett first joined the PBA under a new low-cost “PBA24 membership” program designed to encourage young players to try PBA competition, and converted that membership to “full” status prior to the PBA Winter Swing in Allen Park, Mich., where he cashed in three of four events with a best finish of 21st place in the Don Carter Classic. Tackett is a two-time Junior Team USA member (2011 and 2013), and a 2011 member of adult Team USA.
The winner of match two will advance to the semifinal contest against No. 2 qualifier Norm Duke of Clermont, Fla. The 49-year-old Duke, also a PBA Hall of Famer and tied with Weber with 37 Tour titles (third best on the all-time list), is making his 108th television appearance and first of the 2012-13 season. Duke is making his first TV appearance since finishing fourth in the 2011 Pepsi Elite Players Championship in Las Vegas.
Awaiting the winner of the semifinal match will be 33-year-old Chris Loschetter of Avon, Ohio, who is trying for his first PBA Tour title after nine years on Tour. The former two-time Junior Team USA member has finished second four times in PBA Tour events, including a runner-up finish in the 2005 PBA World Championship. Loschetter won the top berth in the Wolf Open stepladder finals by two pins over Duke.
The next three consecutive Tuesdays will feature two-hour telecasts from the GEICO PBA Summer Swing: the Lucas Oil Bear Open on June 25, the Lucas Oil Milwaukee Open on July 2 and the GEICO PBA Summer King of the Swing presented by Lucas Oil on July 9. All shows will air at 7 p.m. ET. (“Encore”/re-airs will be announced periodically).
Three easy steps to enhance your PBA telecast experience:
1) Tune into pba.com’s Xtra Frame for bonus coverage/special commentaries (all preliminary rounds of GEICO PBA Summer Swing events also are archived on Xtra Frame).
2) Watch the CBS Sports Network finals of the Wolf Open finals on Tuesday, June 18, at 7 p.m. ET.
3) Follow the PBA Tour on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Get bonus commentaries, provide your personal feedback, ask questions and more.
- 6/30/2013: True Amateur Tournament Featuring Live Streaming Underway at Orleans!
- 6/28/2013: Fagan, Duke, Weber Battle at PBA MIlwaukee Open
- 6/25/2013: Belmo Captures Seventh Career PBA Title with Wrecker™!
- 6/25/2013: Belmonte Blasts To The Top at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open...Loschetter Third with Storm...
- 6/24/2013: PBA, ESPN Ink Five-Year Deal
- 6/23/2013: 2013 International Bowl Expo Rolls Into Las Vegas..Live Streaming From Storm Booth!
- 6/22/2013: New From Storm Products, The Hy-Road™ Pearl and Marvel-S™
- 6/20/2013: Walter Ray Williams Jr., Notches PBA50 Title
- 6/18/2013: Free Agent Chris Loschetter Rolls Storm IQ™ Tour To First PBA Title...
- 6/17/2013: Shafer Over Bohn in PBA Eastern Regional
- 6/17/2013: Catch Pete and Norm on CBS Sports Network Tuesday!
- 6/14/2013: Pete Weber Wins USBC Senior Masters in Las Vegas!
- 6/14/2013: Finals Set For USBC Senior Masters...Boresch, Painter, Weber 1-2-3
- 6/13/2013: Winner's Bracket Down to Four at USBC Senior Masters...Lennie Boresch Jr., Over PDW
- 6/13/2013: Storm Lucid Contest Winner Visits USBC's International Training and Research Center
- 6/13/2013: Matchplay Begins at USBC Senior Masters...33 of 64 Players Using Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/12/2013: Joltin' Joe Scarborough 900 Series Jersey Presentation
- 6/12/2013: Heroes Bowl with the Pros Spells Victory by Louie Wemett
- 6/12/2013: Pedersen, Williams, Weber Top Storm Staffers at Senior Masters
- 6/12/2013: Storm's Mobile Website is Here!
- 6/11/2013: Jake Peters Breaks Thru at Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Storm In The Bag - 2013 Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Pilon, Haugen Jr., and Lorincz Hope To Bring Another Win Home For Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/10/2013: Storm Signs 3-Year Agreement with AWBA
- 6/10/2013: 'Eddie' is Ready To Defend at Senior Masters
- 6/10/2013: Geoffrey Young Wins $14,000 For First Place at Grand Boot Hill!
- 6/10/2013: Kelly Kulick, Mike Fagan Bolster Storm National Staffs
- 6/08/2013: 2013 Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Report
- 6/07/2013: Amleto Monacelli Repeats at Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Products
- 6/06/2013: Pedersen Ready For Senior U.S Open Run Friday...
- 6/06/2013: Rick Dale, Star of American Restoration to Attend Bowl Expo With Storm
- 6/05/2013: Pedersen Stays Hot in Sin City...Chasing Ron Mohr at Suncoast...
- 6/05/2013: Gary Hulsenberg, Leanne Barrette-Hulsenberg, Join Team Storm
- 6/03/2013: Suncoast PBA50 Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Rolls in Vegas