Bowling News USA - June 6, 2013 Pedersen Ready For Senior U.S Open Run Friday...
PBA Hall of Famer Randy Pedersen is poised to make a run at a Senior Major on Friday, but It won't be an easy feat at Suncoast Bowling Center in Las Vegas, home of the Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open presented by Storm.
The Storm staffer from Clermont, Fla., is trying to win his second consecutive title after winning the PBA50 Dayton (Ohio) Classic three weeks ago in his PBA50 Tour debut.
After dropping from second to seventh after the third qualifying round, Pedersen was bolstered by a 7-1 match play record in the first match play round bowling games of 217, 214, 181, 222, 222, 214, 243 and 193.
“I needed those bonus pins for the match wins because it was a decent but not great round,” Pedersen said. “I got lucky on a few hits which helped me win a couple matches and had some matches where I was fortunate my opponents didn’t throw anything big at me.”
14 of the 24 matchplay finalists are using Storm/Roto Grip equipment.
Venezuelan Amleto Monacelli moved a step closer to successfully defending his 2012 Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open presented by Storm title by leading after Thursday’s fourth round of the 2013 edition of the PBA50 Tour season’s first major.
The Hall of Famer and 2012 PBA50 Rookie of the Year compiled a 5-3 match play record and leads with a 7,203 32-game pinfall total which includes 30 bonus points for each match play win. He averaged 224.2 for the round bowling games of 299, 195, 203, 179, 249, 213, 243 and 213.
“I was fortunate to start with the 299 because it got a lot tougher the next three games,” Monacelli said. “I would say this is the toughest tournament I’ve bowled in since bowling on the senior (PBA50) tour.
“I keep reminding myself to stay calm and analyze the situation game by game. I’m not even thinking about scores or matches, I’m thinking about making the right choices and executing.”
Monacelli holds a 168-pin lead over Pedersen.
Hall of Famer Wayne Webb of Columbus, Ohio, trying to become the first three-time Senior U.S. Open winner, dropped from the tournament lead after the final qualifying round to finish the day in third with 7,019, struggling in match play with a 2-6 record and averaging 206.7.
Bryan Goebel of Shawnee, Kan., a 10-time winner on the PBA Tour, moved into fourth with 6,935. He finished with a 4-4 match play record and averaged 210.7 for the first match play round.
Reigning PBA50 Player of the Year and last year’s Senior U.S. Open runner-up to Monacelli Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr., of Ocala, Fla., surged into fifth with 6,927 pinfall thanks to a 5-3 match play record and averaging 218.8. Williams has made a steady charge each round after finishing 50th after the first round of qualifying on Tuesday.
The 24 player match play field returns Friday for two more eight-game rounds that will determine the top four players who will advance to the stepladder finals scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. PT.
PBA's online bowling channel Xtra Frame is providing start-to-finish coverage of the Senior U.S. Open. Subscription information is available by clicking on the Xtra Frame logo on the pba.com homepage.
SUNCOAST PBA SENIOR U.S. OPEN PRESENTED BY STORM
Suncoast Bowling Center, Las Vegas, Thursday
FOURTH ROUND (after 32 games)
Includes match play record and total pins including 30 bonus pins for each match win. All players advance to two more eight-game match play rounds Friday.
1, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, 5-3, 7,203.
2, Randy Pedersen, Clermont, Fla., 7-1, 7,035.
3, Wayne Webb, Columbus, Ohio, 2-6, 7,019.
4, Bryan Goebel, Shawnee, Kan., 4-4, 6,935.
5, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., 5-3, 6,927.
6, (tie) Ron Mohr, Eagle River, Alaska, 5-2-1, and Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Twp., Mich., 4-4, 6,923. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
8, Lennie Boresch Jr., Kenosha, Wis., 5-3, 6,921. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
9, Jack Jurek, Lackawanna, N.Y., 4-4, 6,908. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
10, Eric Forkel, Las Vegas, 6-2, 6,897.
11, Bo Goergen, Sanford, Mich., 4-4, 6,871. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
12, Jeff Richgels, Madison, Wis., 6-2, 6,870.
13, Tom Baker, King, N.C., 3-4-1, 6,836.
14, Peter Knopp, Germany, 5-3, 6,815.
15, a-Bob Markiewicz, San Diego, 5-3, 6,792.
16, Marv Sargent, Temecula, Calif., 4-4, 6,783.
17, Hugh Miller, Seattle, 3-5, 6,774. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
18, Kevin Croucher, Grants Pass, Ore., 3-4-1, 6,686.
19, Mike Edwards, Tulsa, Okla., 4-4, 6,684.
20, Mark Williams, Beaumont, Texas, 2-6, 6,668.
21, a-Roger Kossert, Lithia, Fla., 2-6, 6,652. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
22, Dale Traber, Cedarburg, Wis., 1-6-1, 6,649. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
23, Ron Winger, Las Vegas, 1-7, 6,648.
24, Kerry Painter, Henderson, Nev., 3-5, 6,623. (using Storm/Roto Grip)
- 6/30/2013: True Amateur Tournament Featuring Live Streaming Underway at Orleans!
- 6/28/2013: Fagan, Duke, Weber Battle at PBA MIlwaukee Open
- 6/25/2013: Belmo Captures Seventh Career PBA Title with Wrecker™!
- 6/25/2013: Belmonte Blasts To The Top at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open...Loschetter Third with Storm...
- 6/24/2013: PBA, ESPN Ink Five-Year Deal
- 6/23/2013: 2013 International Bowl Expo Rolls Into Las Vegas..Live Streaming From Storm Booth!
- 6/22/2013: New From Storm Products, The Hy-Road™ Pearl and Marvel-S™
- 6/20/2013: Walter Ray Williams Jr., Notches PBA50 Title
- 6/18/2013: Free Agent Chris Loschetter Rolls Storm IQ™ Tour To First PBA Title...
- 6/17/2013: Shafer Over Bohn in PBA Eastern Regional
- 6/17/2013: Catch Pete and Norm on CBS Sports Network Tuesday!
- 6/14/2013: Pete Weber Wins USBC Senior Masters in Las Vegas!
- 6/14/2013: Finals Set For USBC Senior Masters...Boresch, Painter, Weber 1-2-3
- 6/13/2013: Winner's Bracket Down to Four at USBC Senior Masters...Lennie Boresch Jr., Over PDW
- 6/13/2013: Storm Lucid Contest Winner Visits USBC's International Training and Research Center
- 6/13/2013: Matchplay Begins at USBC Senior Masters...33 of 64 Players Using Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/12/2013: Joltin' Joe Scarborough 900 Series Jersey Presentation
- 6/12/2013: Heroes Bowl with the Pros Spells Victory by Louie Wemett
- 6/12/2013: Pedersen, Williams, Weber Top Storm Staffers at Senior Masters
- 6/12/2013: Storm's Mobile Website is Here!
- 6/11/2013: Jake Peters Breaks Thru at Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Storm In The Bag - 2013 Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Pilon, Haugen Jr., and Lorincz Hope To Bring Another Win Home For Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/10/2013: Storm Signs 3-Year Agreement with AWBA
- 6/10/2013: 'Eddie' is Ready To Defend at Senior Masters
- 6/10/2013: Geoffrey Young Wins $14,000 For First Place at Grand Boot Hill!
- 6/10/2013: Kelly Kulick, Mike Fagan Bolster Storm National Staffs
- 6/08/2013: 2013 Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Report
- 6/07/2013: Amleto Monacelli Repeats at Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Products
- 6/06/2013: Pedersen Ready For Senior U.S Open Run Friday...
- 6/06/2013: Rick Dale, Star of American Restoration to Attend Bowl Expo With Storm
- 6/05/2013: Pedersen Stays Hot in Sin City...Chasing Ron Mohr at Suncoast...
- 6/05/2013: Gary Hulsenberg, Leanne Barrette-Hulsenberg, Join Team Storm
- 6/03/2013: Suncoast PBA50 Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Rolls in Vegas