Bowling News USA - June 3, 2013 Suncoast PBA50 Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Rolls in Vegas
After five tournaments in the 2013 PBA50 Tour season, PBA Hall of Famer and defending Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open presented by Storm champion Amleto Monacelli has done just about everything except win. He has two runner-up finishes, a fifth and has been high qualifier twice.
The 19-time PBA Tour winner hopes to break into the win column when the season’s first major returns to the Suncoast Bowling Center June 4-7.
Last year, Monacelli won the Senior U.S. Open by defeating fellow Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr. in the title match, 255-247. The win came in his third PBA50 Tour tournament and was the defining moment leading to his selection as 2012 PBA50 Rookie of the Year.
“I always like bowling long format tournaments so maybe that will work to my advantage in this year’s Senior U.S. Open,” Monacelli said. “It’s been a little frustrating this year that I’ve been so close but I think it’s just a matter of getting some breaks because overall I’m bowling very well.”
With five different winners in five tournaments already this season, Monacelli is hoping to make it six in what is shaping up to be a very competitive season.
“The talent level is getting better and better every year and so it’s tougher to win,” Monacelli said. “Generally I’m bowling very well, but I just need to tweak some adjustments for match play and hopefully it will all come together in Las Vegas.”
Williams, the reigning PBA50 Player of the Year, is hoping to win his first Senior U.S. Open title. The PBA Tour’s all-time leader in titles (47) has already won one PBA50 title this season and will be trying to win his sixth career PBA50 Tour title.
Other notables competing in the Senior U.S. Open include:
● Roto Grip staffer Tom Baker, King, N.C. – Hall of Famer and four-time PBA50 Player of the Year will try to become the first three-time winner of the Senior U.S. Open.
● Wayne Webb, Columbus, Ohio – Hall of Famer and 2010 PBA50 Player of the year is the only other two-time Senior U.S. Open winner and also will try to become the first three-time winner.
● Storm's Randy Pedersen, Clermont, Fla. – PBA Hall of Famer and PBA Tour television color analyst won the Dayton Classic in his PBA50 Tour debut earlier this month and will be trying for his second consecutive PBA50 Tour title in the Senior U.S. Open.
● Storm's Pete Weber, St. Ann, Missouri - The PBA Hall of Famer is on top of his game, making the finals of the regular tour's PBA Wolf Open.
Also entered in the expected field of 200 players are Hall of Famers Johnny Petraglia, Dale Eagle and 2010 Senior U.S. Open winner (Storm staffer) Mark Williams as well as Ron Mohr of Eagle River, Alaska, the 2011 Senior U.S. Open winner and a two-time PBA50 Player of the Year.
Throughout the 2013 PBA50 Tour season, players are competing for the opportunity to advance to the nationally-televised PBA50 Tour Finals which will be conducted as part of the World Series of Bowling V in Las Vegas in November. The top three players in points at the conclusion of the season will advance to the PBA50 Tour Finals. Currently, the top three after the first five tournaments this season are Walter Ray Williams Jr., Bob Learn Jr., and Lennie Boresch Jr.
Preceding the start of competition on Tuesday will be a practice session and pro-ams on Sunday and a PBA50 West/Northwest regional tournament on Monday. PBA's online bowling channel Xtra Frame will provide start-to-finish coverage of the Senior U.S. Open. Subscription information is available by clicking on the Xtra Frame logo on the pba.com homepage.
iPhone, iPad and Android users can also download an Xtra Frame app to their mobile devices to catch all the action. iPhone and iPad users can visit the Apple App store and search for PBA Xtra Frame. Android users need to search Google Play or, using a mobile device Play Store, search PBA or Xtraframe.
SUNCOAST PBA SENIOR U.S. OPEN PRESENTED BY STORM SCHEDULE
Suncoast Bowling Center, Las Vegas
(All times Pacific)
Sunday, June 2
7 a.m. - A Squad practice
10 a.m. - B Squad practice
Pro-Am squads to follow
Monday, June 3
PBA50 West/Northwest Regional Tournament (all day)
Tuesday, June 4
7 a.m. - A squad, 8 qualifying games
12:15 p.m.- B squad, 8 qualifying games
Wednesday, June 5
7 a.m. - B Squad, 8 qualifying games
12:15 p.m. - A Squad, 8 qualifying games
Cut to the top 1/4 of the field
Thursday, June 6
7 a.m. - Top 1/4 of field, 8 qualifying games
Cut to the top 24 bowlers
1:30 p.m. – Top 24, 8 games match play
Friday, June 7
7 a.m. – Top 24, 8 games match play
Noon – Top 24, 8 games match play
Cut to the top 4 for stepladder finals
4 p.m. - Stepladder Finals
- 6/30/2013: True Amateur Tournament Featuring Live Streaming Underway at Orleans!
- 6/28/2013: Fagan, Duke, Weber Battle at PBA MIlwaukee Open
- 6/25/2013: Belmo Captures Seventh Career PBA Title with Wrecker™!
- 6/25/2013: Belmonte Blasts To The Top at Lucas Oil PBA Bear Open...Loschetter Third with Storm...
- 6/24/2013: PBA, ESPN Ink Five-Year Deal
- 6/23/2013: 2013 International Bowl Expo Rolls Into Las Vegas..Live Streaming From Storm Booth!
- 6/22/2013: New From Storm Products, The Hy-Road™ Pearl and Marvel-S™
- 6/20/2013: Walter Ray Williams Jr., Notches PBA50 Title
- 6/18/2013: Free Agent Chris Loschetter Rolls Storm IQ™ Tour To First PBA Title...
- 6/17/2013: Shafer Over Bohn in PBA Eastern Regional
- 6/17/2013: Catch Pete and Norm on CBS Sports Network Tuesday!
- 6/14/2013: Pete Weber Wins USBC Senior Masters in Las Vegas!
- 6/14/2013: Finals Set For USBC Senior Masters...Boresch, Painter, Weber 1-2-3
- 6/13/2013: Winner's Bracket Down to Four at USBC Senior Masters...Lennie Boresch Jr., Over PDW
- 6/13/2013: Storm Lucid Contest Winner Visits USBC's International Training and Research Center
- 6/13/2013: Matchplay Begins at USBC Senior Masters...33 of 64 Players Using Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/12/2013: Joltin' Joe Scarborough 900 Series Jersey Presentation
- 6/12/2013: Heroes Bowl with the Pros Spells Victory by Louie Wemett
- 6/12/2013: Pedersen, Williams, Weber Top Storm Staffers at Senior Masters
- 6/12/2013: Storm's Mobile Website is Here!
- 6/11/2013: Jake Peters Breaks Thru at Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Storm In The Bag - 2013 Lucas Oil PBA Badger Open
- 6/11/2013: Pilon, Haugen Jr., and Lorincz Hope To Bring Another Win Home For Storm/Roto Grip
- 6/10/2013: Storm Signs 3-Year Agreement with AWBA
- 6/10/2013: 'Eddie' is Ready To Defend at Senior Masters
- 6/10/2013: Geoffrey Young Wins $14,000 For First Place at Grand Boot Hill!
- 6/10/2013: Kelly Kulick, Mike Fagan Bolster Storm National Staffs
- 6/08/2013: 2013 Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Report
- 6/07/2013: Amleto Monacelli Repeats at Suncoast PBA Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Products
- 6/06/2013: Pedersen Ready For Senior U.S Open Run Friday...
- 6/06/2013: Rick Dale, Star of American Restoration to Attend Bowl Expo With Storm
- 6/05/2013: Pedersen Stays Hot in Sin City...Chasing Ron Mohr at Suncoast...
- 6/05/2013: Gary Hulsenberg, Leanne Barrette-Hulsenberg, Join Team Storm
- 6/03/2013: Suncoast PBA50 Senior U.S Open Presented by Storm Rolls in Vegas