Bowling News USA - April 23, 2013 Walter Ray Williams Jr. Secures PBA50 Tour Win at The Villages
In a stepladder final made up of three of the Professional Bowlers Association’s all-time greats, Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., prevailed to win his fifth career PBA50 Tour title by capturing the Sun Bowl In The Villages presented by Hammer title Tuesday at Spanish Springs Lanes.
Williams, the reigning PBA50 Player of the Year, defeated fellow Hall of Famer and 2012 PBA50 Rookie of the Year Amleto Monacelli of Venezuela, 276-216, in the championship match to win the second tournament of the 2013 PBA50 Tour season.
Williams found it necessary to implement the unusual technique of using a different ball on each lane of the championship pair in the title match to get the desired ball reaction on each lane.
“It’s not something I normally do, but I practiced with a few balls and was able to determine that if I needed to make a change like that I had the equipment I could do it with,” Williams said. “It turned out that I made the right decisions at the right time and Amleto had a couple bad breaks and I was fortunate to get the win.”
It was a rematch of the last time Williams and Monacelli, a 19-time Tour winner, met in a PBA50 Tour championship match when Monacelli defeated Williams 255-247 to win the 2012 PBA Senior U.S. Open last June in Las Vegas.
“Anytime you can beat Amleto it’s an accomplishment,” said Williams, who owns 47 PBA Tour titles which tops the all-time list. “There were so many great players in this tournament I feel very fortunate to have won it.”
Williams advanced to the title match by defeating Bo Goergen of Sanford, Mich., 258-191, in the semifinal. Goergen, who was trying for his first PBA50 Tour win, made a dramatic jump from seventh in the match play position round to make the final stepladder spot.
Goergen used a Storm Lucid™ in he final.
In the opening match, Goergen defeated Hall of Famer Pete Weber of St. Ann, Mo., 259-256. Weber, a 37-time PBA Tour winner who is competing as a rookie on the PBA50 Tour this season, won the PBA Tournament of Champions on March 31 for a record-tying 10th major title and also became the first player to win PBA’s triple crown twice. He was also a member of the New York City WTT KingPins team that won the inaugural PBA League Elias Cup.
Several scoring records were set during the Sun Bowl In The Villages which included the first 900 series in PBA history bowled by Joe Scarborough of Mars Hill, N.C., during the tournament’s first qualifying round. He ended the tournament finishing in a tie for 49th place. A record 20 300 games were bowled in the tournament and Scarborough along with Williams tied the record for most 300 games bowled in one tournament with three.
Scarborough used a IQ™ Tour Pearl for the 900 series.
Another milestone was set in the Sun Bowl In The Villages when 87-year-old Darrell Ducat became the oldest player ever to bowl in a PBA event.
Throughout the 2013 PBA50 Tour season, players will be competing for the opportunity to advance to the nationally-televised PBA50 Tour Finals which will be conducted as part of the World Series of Bowling V in Las Vegas in November. The top three players in points at the conclusion of the season will advance to the PBA50 Tour Finals.
The PBA50 Tour makes its first visit to the Birmingham, Ala., area for the third stop of the season when the PBA50 Greater Birmingham Open presented by Ebonite will be conducted at Lightning Strikes in Trussville April 28-May 1.
PBA’s online bowling channel Xtra Frame will return with start-to-finish coverage of the PBA50 Miller High Life Classic presented by Columbia 300 at George Pappas Victory Lanes in Mooresville, N.C., May 5-8. Click on the Xtra Frame logo on the pba.com homepage for subscription and schedule information.
PBA50 SUN BOWL IN THE VILLAGES PRESENTED BY HAMMER
Spanish Springs Lanes, The Villages, Fla., Tuesday
1, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., $7,500.
2, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, $4,000.
3, Bo Goergen, Sanford, Mich., $2,500.
4, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., $2,000.
Match One: Goergen def. Weber, 259-256.
Semifinal Match: Williams Jr. def. Goergen, 258-191.
Championship: Williams Jr. def. Monacelli, 276-216.
- 4/30/2013: 2013 Storm InsideBowling.com Finals
- 4/29/2013: "The Real Deal" Bill O'Neill Wins IB Open Title in St. Louis
- 4/28/2013: PBA Rockaway Lanes Eastern Open Presented by Storm Products Results
- 4/27/2013: InsideBowling.com Open Matchplay - Live Streaming Finals Sunday...$8000 Payday For The Champion!
- 4/27/2013: IB Open Ready to Roll in St. Louis...$8000 on Top Sunday!
- 4/25/2013: Squad Times For Storm Bowlers Journal Championships
- 4/24/2013: Sam Cooley Storms To Asian Bowling Federation Title...
- 4/23/2013: Walter Ray Williams Jr. Secures PBA50 Tour Win at The Villages
- 4/23/2013: Spartanburg 11 Year Old Bowls Perfect Game With Storm!
- 4/22/2013: Storm's Lights Out™ and Super Natural™ Coming Soon!
- 4/22/2013: Joe Scarborough Fires First 900 Series in PBA History...with Gold Ball!
- 4/19/2013: Love, Compassion, Generosity and Hope...Rainbow Kids of Sheboygan Gains Strength...
- 4/18/2013: Storm's Marshall Kent Chosen National Collegiate Bowling Coaches Association MVP
- 4/17/2013: Bob Learn Jr. Wins PBA50 Opener...
- 4/15/2013: First Responders Event Will Roll in Vegas...
- 4/13/2013: 2013 USBC Women's Championships Underway in Reno...
- 4/12/2013: 2013 Storm Bowlers Journal Championships Leaderboard
- 4/12/2013: Freak'n Frantic™
- 4/12/2013: Dave Ryan Rejoins Randy at PBA Summer Swing...
- 4/10/2013: PDW - G.O.A.T. by Donnie Layman
- 4/10/2013: 15-Year-Old Wesley Low Jr. Wins PBA Regional...
- 4/09/2013: Andrew Frawley, Daunting in Dubai
- 4/08/2013: PBA50 Tour Ready to Roll in Florida...
- 4/07/2013: Weber, KingPins, PBA League Elias Cup Champs!
- 4/05/2013: 2013 ABT Spring Nationals $150,000 Prize Fund Live Broadcast with Randy Pedersen!
- 4/05/2013: 2013 USBC Open Championships Leaderboard
- 4/03/2013: In The Bag - 2013 PBA Barbasol Tournament of Champions
- 4/01/2013: Next Level Bowling Events April Schedule
- 4/01/2013: Storm All-Time PBA Tour Wins