Bowling News USA - January 22, 2013 Archer Leads Carmen Salvino Classic with Storm...
D.J. Archer of Friendswood, Texas, led the qualifying field in the Professional Bowlers Association Carmen Salvino Classic Tuesday, the opening event in the PBA Detroit Winter Swing, while Bill O’Neill of Langhorne, Pa., helped his Philadelphia Hitmen team pace the inaugural qualifying round of PBA League competition at Thunderbowl Lanes in suburban Detroit.
Archer used a Storm Victory Road™ Solid.
The Detroit Winter Swing features a unique PBA competition, with a field of 135 players competing for individual titles in four different events while eight teams of five players each also are using their qualifying scores to help their teams qualify in PBA League competition.
Archer, who was not drafted by a PBA League team, averaged 247.13 for eight games Tuesday afternoon to lead the field of 16 players who advanced into the Carmen Salvino Classic round-robin match play finals Tuesday night. After nine match games, the top two players will bowl for the Salvino Classic title as part of the same ESPN telecast that will include the Salvino PBA League finals.
O’Neill, who qualified sixth as an individual, led a balanced Philadelphia Hitmen team – owned by actor/comedian Kevin Hart) – into the top stepladder position for the PBA League final round. The HitMen finished with a combined total of 9,094 pins to earn the top berth in the Salvino round stepladder finals by 123 pins over the Motown Muscle, owned by Detroit native and former Pittsburgh Steelers star running back Jerome Bettis. Billie Jean King’s New York City WTT KingPins clinched the No. 3 berth in the stepladder finals. The other five teams will bowl a one-ball “Clash Match” eliminator round to determine the fourth berth in the stepladder finals.
O’Neill, who posted an eight-game total of 1,915 pins, got help from Hitmen teammates Mika Koivuniemi (1,817), Chris Loschetter (1,797), Mike DeVaney (1,845) and Dick Allen (1,720).
“It was way different than bowling other PBA events,” O’Neill said. “I bowled a couple of pairs away from DeVaney and Allen, so I was kind of watching them. We’re bowling against each other for the Salvino title, but I’m still cheering for them. We want to win the team thing. That would be awesome.”
The Carmen Salvino Classic finals and PBA League stepladder matches will be completed on Saturday at noon ET at Thunderbowl Lanes. The finals will air on ESPN on Sunday, Feb. 10, at 1 p.m. ET.
The Detroit Winter Swing continues Wednesday at Thunderbowl Lanes with qualifying and match play rounds in the Mark Roth Classic along with the second day of PBA League competition.
All preliminary of Winter Swing competition are being covered live, exclusively on PBA’s online bowling channel, Xtra Frame. To subscribe to Xtra Frame, visit pba.com and click on the Xtra Frame link.
PBA CARMEN SALVINO CLASSIC
Thunderbowl Lanes, Allen Park, Mich., Jan. 22
Final Qualifying Standings (after 8 games; top 16 advance to round robin match play Tuesday night)
1, D.J. Archer, Friendswood, Texas, 1,977. (Victory Road Solid)
2, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich., 1,953.
3, Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 1,946. (Hy-Road)
4, Scott Norton, Mission Viejo, Calif., 1,941.
5, Michael Machuga, Erie, Pa., 1,936.
6, Bill O'Neill, Langhorne, Pa., 1,915.
7, Sean Rash, Montgomery, Ill., 1,886.
8, Andres Gomez, Colombia, 1,881. (Hy-Road)
9, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 1,874. (Defiant Soul)
10, Tyler Wilds, Three Rivers, Mich., 1,865. (IQ Tour Pearl)
11, Ronnie Russell, Marion, Ind., 1,859.
12, Mike DeVaney, Hemet, Calif., 1,845. (Tropical Storm)
13, Frankie Calca, Elmont, N.Y., 1,840. (Frantic)
14, Scott Newell, Deland, Fla., 1,836.
15, Tom Daugherty, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 1,826. (Marvel Pearl)
16, Lee Vanderhoef, Greenville, S.C., 1,824.
Other Cashers (after 8 games):
17, Mika Koivuniemi, Finland, 1,817, $1,000.
18, Mason Brantley, Detroit, 1,808, $950.
19, Dom Barrett, England, 1,806, $900.
20, Brett Spangler, Niles, Ohio, 1,805, $850.
21, Ryan Shafer, Horseheads, N.Y., 1,801, $820.
22, Chris Loschetter, Avon, Ohio, 1,797, $800.
23 (tie), Jim Pratt, Glendale, Ariz., and Kyle Bigelow, Troy, Ohio, 1,796, $785.
25, Stuart Williams, England, 1,790, $770.
26, Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C., 1,789, $760.
27, Joe Paluszek, Bensalem, Pa., 1,786, $750.
28, Brian Valenta, Lockport, Ill., 1,784, $740.
29, Osku Palermaa, Finland, 1,783, $730.
30, Dave Wodka, Henderson, Nev., 1,782, $720.
31, Gregory Thompson Jr., Dublin, Calif., 1,781, $710.
32, Craig Nidiffer, Trenton, Mich., 1,779, $700.
- 1/30/2013: Storm Lucid™ - 2012 'No Holes Barred' Bowling Ball of the Year...
- 1/30/2013: Mike Jasnau In Reno For 2013 USBC Open Championship
- 1/30/2013: Meet The PBA League's Silver Lake Atom Splitters
- 1/29/2013: John Davis - Bowling Industry Icon, Visionary, Pioneer...
- 1/29/2013: Meet The PBA League's New York City WTT KingPins...
- 1/29/2013: Jeff Conradi Wins 2013 Storm Utah Open
- 1/27/2013: PBA League Debuts on ESPN
- 1/25/2013: Rash, Norton Make Final Show in Detroit...
- 1/25/2013: Malott Leads PBA Don Carter Classic...'Gold Ball' Dominating Detroit
- 1/25/2013: John Davis, Kegel Founder and CEO Passes Away.
- 1/24/2013: Wes Malott Dominates the PBA Don Carter Classic...Another Tournament Leader For Storm/Roto Grip
- 1/24/2013: Haugen Uses PBA League Snub, Hard Work as Motivation...
- 1/23/2013: Haugen Jr., Uses "Gold Ball" To Lead Roth Classic
- 1/23/2013: Weber, Duke Make Sweet 16 at Roth Classic
- 1/22/2013: 2 For The Show! D.J. Archer, Andres Gomez Will Represent Storm Nation at Salvino Classic ESPN Finals...
- 1/22/2013: Archer Leads Carmen Salvino Classic with Storm...
- 1/22/2013: Randy Explains How To Play Oily Lanes on Storm Tips
- 1/21/2013: 2013 PBA Tour Winter Swing Blog by Louie Wemett
- 1/21/2013: Foley, Giles March To Victory at Storm Irish Open...
- 1/20/2013: Mika, Tommy Jones Win Titles in Japan...
- 1/18/2013: Doug Kent, Danny Wiseman Elected To PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/17/2013: Storm's Rhino Page, Ryan Shafer and Derek Eoff Earn PBA Regional Honors...
- 1/17/2013: Storm Signs Top Amateur Marshall Kent
- 1/16/2013: The Storm SYNC™ with Leanne Hulsenberg and Steve Kloempken
- 1/16/2013: Friends of Tony Reyes...
- 1/15/2013: PBA in Detroit...Lane Patterns Honor Legends, New Formats
- 1/13/2013: Parker Bohn III Over Belmo at PBA World Championship
- 1/09/2013: PBA World Championship Sunday on ESPN...
- 1/08/2013: Storm/Roto Grip Dominate Team USA Trials...
- 1/06/2013: Vise, Storm Present Progressive Pot Games
- 1/06/2013: Daugherty Travels The 'Roads' To First PBA Title...
- 1/05/2013: 56th Military Bowling Championships Rolls at Orleans!
- 1/04/2013: High Roller's Senior Classic Set For Suncoast!
- 1/04/2013: Eoff Rolls with IQ™ Tour Pearl...Most Popular Ball on Planet Earth...
- 1/02/2013: Two-Handed Tandem on ESPN Sunday
- 1/01/2013: Pete and Norm's Greatest Hits - 1986 St. Louis Open
- 1/01/2013: Fans Vote Weber's U.S Open Win Top Bowling Story of 2012