Bowling News USA - December 3, 2012 Shayna Ng Ends Guerra's Run at World Cup Three-Peat
Shayna Ng of Singapore seeded third, defeated top seeded Aumi Guerra of the Dominican Republic, two-games-to-one, to capture the women's title at 48th QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup Saturday, Dec. 1, at Sky Bowling Center in Wroclaw, Poland.
Ng, who led the 69-player field in qualifying and the Round of 24, slipped to third place in round robin match play despite having the highest average of 231.22 for 36 games.
In the opening match of the three-player stepladder finals, Ng met Storm staffer Kirsten Penny of England, who was in second place in all six rounds of the competition and finished match play just one pin ahead of the Singaporean with 230.42 average but a 5-3 won-loss record compared to Ng's 4-4 (30 pins bonus per win).
In best-of-three games format, Ng swept Penny, 2-0, winning the first two games 246-215 and 231-191, to set up a title match with two-time defending champion Guerra, who was targeting to become the first women to win three title and the first player ever in the 48-year World Cup history to win three time in a row.
Guerra (left) took a 1-0 lead after the first game, 269-224, and was one win away from the three-peat. She followed the 269 with a 257 in game two, but Ng beat her by eight pins with 267 to level the match.
The Singaporean carried the momentum into the decider and defeated Guerra, 247-169, to wrap up the title. It was the second gold medal for Singapore in the World Cup after Jasmine Yeong-Nathan's victory in the 44th edition in Hermosillo, Mexico, in the year 2008.
The 2012 QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup was held from Nov. 26 to Dec 1 at 24-lane Sky Bowling Center in Wroclaw, Poland. It marked the first time since its inception in 1965 in Dublin, Ireland that the BWC visits Poland.
151 players, 82 men and 69 women, representing 84 countries participated in the 48th edition of the event. The men were split into three squads (A, B and C) while the women's division featured two squads (A and B).
In the title match in best-of-three games format, Ridhwan swept tournament leader Marshall Kent (right) of the United States, two-games-to-none, to become the first ever Malaysian World Cup champion in the 48-year history of the event.
Ridhwan, who beat out UAE's Hareb Al-Mansoori by 30 pins for the third and last place in the stepladder final due to the higher match play bonus, won the first game, 236-225, and sealed the victory with 237-221 win in game two.
The 20-year-old Team USA member, who held a 78-pin lead after match play with a 227.47 average for 36 games, had to settle for second place.
In the opening match of the three-player stepladder finals, Ridhwan was down 1-0 against No. 2 seed, Storm staffer Andres Gomez as the Colombian took the first game by two pins, 236-234. Ridhwan leveled the match with a 224-201 and posted a big game to win the deciding third game, 258-213.
It was the second third-place finish for Colombia's first and only PBA champion after the 2007 World Cup in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- 12/31/2012: Watch all your favorite Storm Videos on the Storm YouTube Channel!
- 12/30/2012: Belmo Nipped at the Wire at PBA Chameleon Championship...
- 12/26/2012: Storm Products Continues Long Sponsorship of USBC Tournament.
- 12/25/2012: Watch The Finals of the PBA Chameleon Championship on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/25/2012: Beat The Champs: Pete Weber Just Keeps Right on Rolling...
- 12/23/2012: Brad Angelo Puts One on the Board for Storm Products!
- 12/23/2012: Martin Larsen Rolls to Victory in the 6th Kingdom International Open...
- 12/18/2012: Norm and Rhino Coming to Cove Lanes Bowling and Entertainment Center!
- 12/16/2012: Storm Leads PBA International Invasion...O'Neill Wins on Cheetah...
- 12/16/2012: "Gold Ball" Sweeping The Nation...And The Pins by Jeff Richgels
- 12/15/2012: Dom Barrett Wins EBT Point Rankings For Second Straight Year...Mika Takes Qatar Bowling Open
- 12/14/2012: Another World Record For Chad McLean...
- 12/13/2012: IAB Elite Youth Tour Coming to Sam's Town in Las Vegas
- 12/12/2012: Bowling Means The World To Diandra...By Anthony Nasella Post-Tribune Correspondent
- 12/11/2012: The PBA Returns to Beertown...
- 12/10/2012: Bertolina, Shellabarger Roll To Win at International Senior Open
- 12/09/2012: Liz Johnson Returns to the Storm Nation at WTBA Women's Championships...
- 12/07/2012: Watch Liz on ESPN Sunday!
- 12/06/2012: International Art of Bowling Launches 'The Circle' Membership
- 12/06/2012: 2013 PBA50 Tour Schedule Set
- 12/05/2012: Catch Hall of Famer Bob Hart on Phantom Radio
- 12/04/2012: Get Your IQ™ Tour Pearl Today!
- 12/03/2012: Pete Thomas Banks $12,000 at High Roller's Thanksgiving 50 & Over Classic
- 12/03/2012: Shayna Ng Ends Guerra's Run at World Cup Three-Peat