Bowling News USA - October 11, 2012 Edwards Dedicates PBA All In Showdown For 'Little Brother'
Over the past 12 months, Professional Bowlers Association veteran Mike Edwards of Tulsa, Okla., has been on a rollercoaster of emotions, ranging from the depths of sadness over the death of his father and his “little brother,” Tony Reyes, to the peaks of rediscovered confidence and passion for the sport.
Whether the next step will be a peak or valley, Edwards, a Storm staffer, will find out on Friday, Nov. 2. He is the first to put up the $5,000 entry fee for the second edition of the PBA All-In Showdown, a winner-take-all special event that will kick off the PBA World Series of Bowling IV at South Point Bowling Center in Las Vegas.
“I just decided last night to go for it,” Edwards said Thursday. “I was talking with a couple of friends who encouraged me to get in. I’m throwing the ball good, so I thought I might as well give it a shot.”
Edwards, who turns 51 in December, will bowl against a field of up to seven other players. If the field fills at eight entries, the winner will walk about with a $40,000 prize. The format will feature three two-game elimination rounds bowled on the PBA World Championship lane condition. All matches will be webcast live on pba.com’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel starting at 3:30 PT on Friday, Nov. 2.
At this time last year, Edwards had no interest in the All-In event. In fact, he wasn’t very interested in bowling, period.
“A year ago, bowling was the least of things I had to worry about,” he said. “My father was having a hard time. He passed away in November. But over the past year, I got my passion and enthusiasm back. My wife (Samantha) and my mother told me Dad would want me to carry on, so I did.
“Last summer was probably the best bowling I’ve done in a long, long time,” he continued. Edwards, in his first year of eligibility, jumped into PBA Senior Tour competition in June and won the USBC Senior Masters for his first national title since winning his only PBA Tour title in the 1994 IOF Foresters Bowling for Miracles Open in Toronto.
But a week ago, tragedy struck again when long-time friend and fellow competitor Tony Reyes died in northern California from injuries sustained in a traffic accident.
“It’s been pretty emotional the past week or so with my little brother, Tony Reyes, passing away,” Edwards said. “I didn’t think I could stand the emotion of going to the funeral, but I thought the best thing I could do was go bowl and win for him, and I did. I won (the PBA Midwest/Southwest Region Barney’s Open) in Springfield, Mo., and I broke down afterward.
“That was my tribute to him. We were really close; he was like my little brother. I dedicated the tournament to him as my way of saluting him, and last night, I decided to keep it going. I told myself, you’re warm now, so you might as well try (the All-In Showdown). I’m feeling a little frisky right now.”
All comers are invited to participate in the 2012 edition of the All-In Showdown. The entry deadline is Wednesday, Oct. 17. In 2011, Tommy Jones of Simpsonville, S.C., survived three tension-filled matches, eventually defeating Sean Rash of Montgomery, Ill., 446-426, in the two-game title match.
To enter the 2012 event, contact Barb Wilt at the PBA office in Seattle (email@example.com or 206-654-6025).
- 10/30/2012: Get Ready For Storm's 'In The Bag'... Coming Soon!
- 10/30/2012: International Players Looking For a Repeat Performance at 2012 WSOB
- 10/29/2012: Belmo, Diandra Secure Storm International Glory...
- 10/29/2012: Meet The Storm Women Staffers - Leanne Hulsenberg
- 10/27/2012: Belmonte, Asbaty Power To Australian Masters Titles...
- 10/26/2012: Bowling Industry Unites Behind Men and Women's U.S Open
- 10/25/2012: Meet The Storm Women Staffers - Anita Manns
- 10/23/2012: It's Good To Be, Anne Marie...
- 10/23/2012: Anne Marie-Duggan Wins 2012 USBC Senior Queens
- 10/23/2012: Dana Miller-Mackie One Win Away From Senior Queens Crown...
- 10/22/2012: Smooth Stroker Bob Hart Keeps Bowling Up a Storm!
- 10/22/2012: PDW is The New Face of Storm Footwear...
- 10/22/2012: Catch Diandra and Belmo on FOX tonight...
- 10/22/2012: Char Hammel is High Qualifier at Women's Senior Queens
- 10/22/2012: Meet The Storm Women Staffers - Diandra Asbaty
- 10/20/2012: Robin Romeo Red Hot at Senior Queens
- 10/19/2012: 2013 Military Championships Gunning For Record Entries
- 10/19/2012: PBA Will Debut Team Competition in January
- 10/19/2012: Meet The Storm Women Staffers - Lindsay Boomershine
- 10/18/2012: 2012 ABT Fall Nationals Underway at Sam's Town
- 10/18/2012: Meet The Storm Women Staffers - Tina Stickney
- 10/17/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 10/17/2012: Bob Harvey Powers To Win on Storm Northwest Tour
- 10/17/2012: 2012 USBC Senior Queens Presented by Storm, Rolls in Arlington...
- 10/17/2012: Meet The Storm Women Staffers - Tish Johnson
- 10/15/2012: The Storm Lucid™
- 10/15/2012: Awesome in Asia..Storm Fair Continues to Prosper...
- 10/11/2012: Edwards Dedicates PBA All In Showdown For 'Little Brother'
- 10/10/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 10/09/2012: Steve Richter Talks Coaching and Storm Product Line
- 10/08/2012: Irma Wenzel, 79 Years Young, Fires 300 with Hy-Road!
- 10/05/2012: Remembering Tony...
- 10/05/2012: Roto Grip Staffer Stu Williams Has a Day in Vienna...
- 10/05/2012: Pittsburgh Bowlers Tour Schedule
- 10/04/2012: Storm Announces Winners Of The Storm Lucid Sweepstakes!
- 10/04/2012: Tony Reyes Memorial Fund/Services
- 10/04/2012: Storm Tip of the Week
- 10/02/2012: The Lucid™ In Pro Shops Today!
- 10/02/2012: Pete Weber WIns First Senior Regional...84th Career PBA Title