Bowling News USA - March 30, 2011 Gurney Grabs Golden Ladies Title
(Las Vegas – March 24, 2011) Judy Gurney, Omaha, NE, a 57 year-old systems analyst for an insurance company, defeated tournament leader Terri Ward, Loveland, CO, 265-194, to take home the 2011 Golden Ladies title and $2,000. Gurney, a former Women's International Bowling Congress doubles champion, topped a field of 84 women all over the age of 50 in the 21st edition of the scratch bowling event for ladies held annually at The Orleans Casino and Bowling Center in Las Vegas.
The tournament was sponsored by Storm Products.
The stepladder finals for the top five bowlers began with Char Hammel from Las Vegas, defeating Luci Sandelin from Tampa, FL, 234-205. Sandelin hit her ankle so hard in her third frame delivery that play had to be stopped momentarily to determine if she could continue. Sandelin gamely converted her spare but couldn't regain any momentum. In match two Hammel defeated qualifying leader Jeanne Naccarato from Tacoma, WA, 257-214, after Naccarato left a pocket 7-10 in the eighth frame. Naccarato had led the qualifying with a 15 game average of 237. Hammel looked to having the semi-final match against Gurney well in hand, needing only a mark in the tenth frame to win but a slight error in her downswing caused her to leave the 8-10 split. Gurney sealed the deal by striking out in the tenth frame to win the match, 247-235.
The championship match pitted Gurney against tournament leader Terri Ward, a first timer in the event who had been steady all through qualifying and match play but the pressure proved to be the undoing of Ward who rolled one of her lower games of the week against Gurney.
For her stellar performance Gurney received $2,000, the trophy, and a free entry into next year's event. Runner-up Ward was awarded $1,150. Third place Hammel received $800, fourth place Naccarato $700, and fifth Sandelin $550. Other finalists were: 6th - Debbie McMullen, Denver, $380; Virginia Norton, Cypress, CA $375; 8th Pam Lawrence, Pflugerville, TX, $370; 9th Terri Stynes, Mountain View, CA, $365; 10th Pam Buckner, Reno, NV, $360; 11th Karen Miller, Las Vegas, $355; 12th Jan Thomas, Urbandale, IA, $350; 13th Carole Jones, Englewood, CO, $345 14th Joan Reilly, Wilmington, NC, $340;15th Lisa Vint, Troy, WI, $335; 16th Karen Smith, San Marcos, CA/Paula Vidad, Sun City, CA(Vidad replaced Smith – injury) $330 17th Sandy Postma, Lansing, IL, $325; 18th Dee Price, Stockton, CA, $325.
In the Super Senior division (bowlers over age 60) Connie Palmer, El Cajon, CA, outpaced the field to take home the trophy and $1,000. Other finalists were 2nd Lela Larkin, Medford, OR, $700; 3rd Angela Scott, Moreno Valley, CA, $550; 4th Vesma Grinfelds, San Francisco, $450; 5th Bennie Gemello, Tucson, AZ, $400; 6th Sue Mivelaz-West, Tujunga, CA, $375; 7th Loretta Hoffman, Wichita, KS, $350; 8th Olivia Rice, Baltimore, $325; 9th A Rose Williams, Yorba Linda, CA, $300; 10th Donna Donohue, La Mesa, CA, $275; 11th Jude Ann Cobler, Las Vegas, $250; 12th Gloria Frazier, Vidor, TX $225.
Winners in the Second Chance Sweeper were Candy Sylvia, Felton, CA, $250; Jackie Wyckoff, Campbell, CA $225; Lori Wilkinson, Temecula, CA, $175; Marci Williams, Wichita, KS, $145; Lil Johnson, Lawton, OK, $115; Janine Ditch, Chino Hills, CA, $90.
- 3/30/2011: Join Storm in Donating To Relief Efforts In Japan
- 3/30/2011: Gurney Grabs Golden Ladies Title
- 3/29/2011: Nutty for Nanos Week 4 Winner
- 3/29/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #1
- 3/29/2011: Judy Gurney Rolls to Golden Ladies Classic Title...
- 3/28/2011: Jaros, Weiss and Allen Adance at Dick Weber Playoffs
- 3/23/2011: Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano Reviews
- 3/22/2011: Storm Staffer Tish Johnson Is On Fire!
- 3/22/2011: Nutty For Nanos Week 3 Winner!
- 3/15/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 2 Winner
- 3/14/2011: Diabetes Can't Keep Shafer off the Lanes by Mark Ambrogi
- 3/14/2011: Storm Bowling Balls Highlight Bowling This Month’s Readers Choice Awards
- 3/14/2011: Norm Duke Interview on Above 180.com
- 3/14/2011: Storm Teams Preparing For Intercollegiate Team Championships
- 3/14/2011: Michigan Team Captain Wins Truck At USBC Open Championships
- 3/12/2011: Walter Ray Looks to Extend Streak...Schlem Has the Nation Ready...
- 3/11/2011: Wiseman, Shafer, Belmonte Advance at the Dick Weber Playoffs...
- 3/11/2011: 8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan...Storm's Steve Kloempken is Safe...
- 3/09/2011: Y.E.S. Announces The Students Equipped To Strike (S.E.T.S) Program
- 3/09/2011: George Frilingos Uses the New Virtual Gravity Nano to Win Australia’s Kegel Open
- 3/08/2011: Nutty For Nano's! Week One Winner!
- 3/07/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Rolls to Emir Cup Win...
- 3/07/2011: Jason Couch Beats Parker Bohn for 16th PBA Title...
- 3/04/2011: Special Olympics Celebrates 21st Year As Prelude To USBC Open Championships
- 3/04/2011: Live Streaming Events Schedule For 2011 USBC Championships
- 3/02/2011: Strikes For Sy Update
- 3/02/2011: The Schlemer Report - U.S Open
- 3/02/2011: Storm Staffer Jeff Richgels Reviews the Virtual Gravity™ Nano
- 3/01/2011: Mike Jasnau in Reno for 2011 USBC Open Championships
- 3/01/2011: Watch Norm Duke's U.S Open Title Match, Post Game Interview!
- 3/01/2011: Now Available From Storm - The Virtual Gravity™ Nano